People are often advised on how to maintain good oral hygiene and especially what not to eat to keep teeth and gums healthy but what about what to eat, to make your teeth healthier and more radiant? Well here at Smile Like The Stars we’ve put our top 10 favourite foods to give you a helping hand next time you’re in the supermarket thinking what’s good for me! Its certainly food for thought…
Some foods can partially protect against cavities. Fluoride is a primary protector against dental cavities. Fluoride makes the surface of teeth more resistant to acids during the process of remineralisation. All foods increase saliva production, and since saliva contains buffer chemicals helping to stabilize the pH to near 7 (neutral) in the mouth. Foods high in fibre also help to increase the flow of saliva. According to World Dental, these are the top ten beneficial foods for teeth:
1. Green tea contains polyphenol antioxidant plant compounds that reduce plaque and help reduce cavities and gum disease. Tea may help reduce bad breath. Tooth enamel is strengthened because green tea contains fluoride which promotes healthy teeth.
2. Milk and yogurt are good for teeth because they contain low acidity. They are also low in decay-inducing sugar. Milk is a good source of calcium, the main component of teeth.
3. Cheese contains calcium and phosphate, which helps balance pH in the mouth, preserves and rebuilds tooth enamel, produces saliva, and kills bacteria that cause cavities.
4. Fruits such as apples, strawberries and kiwis contain Vitamin C. This vitamin is considered the element that holds cells together. If this vitamin is neglected, gum cells can break down, making gums tender and susceptible to disease.
5. Vegetables: Vitamin A, found in pumpkins, carrots, sweet potatoes and broccoli, is necessary for the formation of tooth enamel. Crunchy vegetables also help clean gums.
6. Onions contain antibacterial sulphur compounds. Tests show that onions kill various types of bacteria, especially when eaten raw.
7. Celery protects teeth by producing saliva which neutralizes bacteria that cause cavities. It also massages the teeth and gums.
8. Sesame seeds reduce plaque and help build tooth enamel. They’re also high in calcium.
9. Animal food: beef, chicken, turkey, and eggs contain phosphorus which, with calcium, is one of the two most vital minerals of teeth and bone.
10. Water cleans the mouth and produces saliva that deposits essential minerals into the teeth. It keeps teeth hydrated and washes away particles from the teeth
For more information on teeth whitening and general good oral hygiene then please follow us on Twitter @SmileLikeTStars or like us on http://www.facebook.com/smilelikethestars or view our Youtube channel Teeth Whitening UK.
If you’d like to get in touch with us then please call on 01172 541 541 or email email@example.com.